I am Kurt Hendrickson, a litigator with a focus on business, contract, real estate, and employment disputes. I am passionate about helping local business owners protect and grow their companies.
I have litigated complex cases in state and federal court. I work with each client to develop a strategy that achieves their goals. The goal of developing the strategy is to direct the case on a path on which the client can make a sound business decision to resolve the case or take it to trial. Frequently, this involves prelitigation discussions with the opposing party to determine if the case can be resolved without initiating formal litigation or through mediation once the case has been filed. Although I enjoy trial, I view it as a last resort for most cases.
It is difficult to be a business owner in California. One major challenge is the complex employment laws in the state. When it comes to hiring, firing, wages and work hours, there are obligations and pitfalls that come with the territory. Those pitfalls include claims of harassment, discrimination, retaliation and wage violations. I advise employers on policies that safeguard against future liability or defend them against these claims by employees. In addition to representing clients in state and federal court, I represent employers in cases before government agencies such as the Department of Fair Employment and Housing, the Employment Development Department and the State Labor Commissioner.
I work closely with my clients to understand the details of their real estate matters. I understand that each transaction or dispute is unique. These disputes arise over easements, leases, purchases, and sales. I work with my clients to make sure they understand all risks associated with their cases. Then when necessary, I file or defend lawsuits arising out of the real estate dispute.
I also represent clients in licensing matters before State agencies. If a complaint or disciplinary matter is filed against a client’s license, I analyze the agency's allegations and prepares a defense to the charges. My services include representation in investigatory interviews and, where necessary, administrative trials.
- Clerk, Commissioner William A. Mundell of the Arizona Corporations Commission
- Selected for inclusion as a Super Lawyers Rising Star, 2016-2018
- Chosen as Best of the Bar by the Sacramento Business Journal, 2017
- Selected as a Top Lawyer by Sacramento Magazine, 2017-2018
- Past President, Barristers’ Club of Sacramento
- Board Member, Region Business
- Member, Sacramento Metro Edge
- Membership-Committee Chairman, Sacramento County Bar Association, 2013-2015
- J.D., University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law
- B.A., Political Science, Arizona State University
- B.A., Sociology, Arizona State University